Monday, July 11, 2011

was it pip or did i just get lucky?

last week i was driving home from work as usual...and suddenly the cars in front of me started to slam on their breaks (on a 65mph highway with 4 lanes). so i moved over to the far right lane on this overpass that splits hwy 290 and 360. on the shoulder, a police officer had pulled over another car. i tried to get over out of the way and panicked for a split second. silly me should have slowed down even more than i did or tried harder to get over into the next lane. i noticed that the police officer had just finished up with the car, as that car pulled behind me. as i was driving down that hill i then noticed that the cop was now pulling me over. normally i would have gotten anxious, pissed off or even nervous, but somehow i remained calm. must be the hormones. he pulled me over and i rolled down the window. yes, to be honest i was hoping he would notice how pregnant i was. really, how could you miss it? i was also secretly hoping he would notice my id badge said that i worked for the federal government. he asked if i realized that i didn't get into the other lane and slow down 25mph below the speed limit when passing a police officer. mentioned a statistic of how many officers get killed while on duty due to people failing to switch lanes. i told him the truth and said that when i switched lanes, i panicked that i couldn't get back into the other lane and should have slowed down more than i should have. he asked for my insurance and license. he also kindly offered to get my bag from the backseat since my license was in there. even told me that i can roll up my window since it was so hot outside while he checked out things. i sat patiently while he did so and was glad that he was being nice. i knew that this was no one else's fault but mine at this point. for the record, i have only been pulled over once (knock on wood), received a ticket for speeding thru a construction zone. those tickets suck. no driving class online to get out of that one or have it taken off your record. it was an expensive ticket. the cop that pulled me over for that one was kinda rude and didn't have much to say to me and didn't really care. would have liked to get off with a warning for that one considering that i have a clean record. anyway, back to my nice cop. he came back and told me that he was going to give me a warning this time because the fine for this kind of ticket was expensive. i thanked him and told him that i promised to be more careful in the future. was it pip that helped me out? or was it my lucky day?

p.s. ironically, i saw an article in the local paper the next day about a new "Move Over Law."

No comments:

Post a Comment